Uphill Skiing at Whiteface
Whiteface Mountain recognizes that winter uphill traffic has become a part of the enjoyment of the mountain. Uphill traffic users must understand that any trail they climb and descend has not been inspected for hazards by the ski patrol and natural and man-made obstacles may not be marked. Anyone who wishes to access Whiteface via uphill travel during non-operating hours must have a Whiteface Uphill Pass. Uphill skiers with a valid Whiteface Season Pass may obtain one at no charge by submitting an Uphill Pass Application at the Whiteface Season Pass Office.
Uphill Users Shall Abide by the Following Guidelines:
- Uphill climbing is not permitted during daytime lift operation (8:30 am - 4:30 pm).
- All users must have an Uphill Pass, which may be purchased for $25.00 and is valid from opening day until the close of the lift-serviced ski season. The Uphill Pass does NOT provide lift access.
- The Uphill Pass is available at no extra charge with the purchase of any Whiteface Season Pass. Pass holders must complete and submit an Uphill Pass Application (separate from the Season Pass Application). This is a separate physical pass, so uphill skiers must have their Whiteface Uphill Pass on their person during non-operating hours.
- Uphill skiers are required to wear reflective clothing and a light that is visible from any direction.
- The Uphill Pass should be visible and available upon request by any mountain employee while climbing or skiing. Uphill climbing/skiing without a pass may result in being banned from the property.
- Users should be vigilant for snow cats, winch cat cables, snowmobiles, ATVs, trucks, other skiers, riders and other exposures typical of an operating ski area.
- If you see a winch cable on a trail, you cannot cross this cable and must turn around immediately and use another route.
- If you are asked by staff to leave the area you must comply immediately.
- Users will ascend on predetermined routes. These routes may change depending on conditions; check with Ski Patrol for updates before you ascend:
- To Mid Station: Climber's left up Boreen
- To Top of Gondola: Upper Valley to Summit Express to Lower Northway to Turn 3, 2, 1 of Excelsior
- To Top of Summit Quad: Climber's left of Paron's Run/The Follies
- Users shall adhere to all closures, warning signs and ropes at all times as well as all rules and regulations set forth in the Skier's Responsibility Code and Safety In Skiing Code Rule 54 of the NYS Industrial Code Rules.
- Users shall not enter any buildings. No pets are permitted at anytime. Users shall descend using skis or snowboards only. No sleds are permitted.
- Users will be asked to start descending when Ski Patrol starts the morning trail check.
- Users shall only park in the River Lot, unless eligible to park in designated handicap parking.
Whiteface Mountain ski center has administrative use of the ski area land and the right to modify or terminate this program at any time. If you would like to participate in this activity please purchase an Uphill Pass at least 24 hours prior to your first uphill adventure of the season.