World-class Skiing in the Adirondacks
When you get to the top of Whiteface Mountain, you'll be at the top of Northeast skiing. No ski mountain in the east reaches higher than ours. Around you, dozens of Adirondack peaks jut into the horizon. The fresh air filling your lungs has just blown over a protected park larger than Yellowstone and Yosemite, combined. And below you lie trails that have led Olympic athletes to glory. American Phil Mahre won silver here in the 1980 Winter Olympics. Andrew Weibrecht, a Lake Placid local who grew up skiing at Whiteface, earned a Bronze Medal in Super G at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics and a Silver at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics! It's your turn.
Activities for All Seasons
Whiteface opened in 1958 and has earned its place in the annals of big-mountain skiing. It has the greatest vertical drop in the east, which means if pointing the boards downhill is your thing, you'll have plenty of opportunities. We regularly stage major national and international skiing events, yet welcome first-time skiers and riders every day. We have 87 trails (a third of which are rated for expert skiers), 11 lifts including the Cloudsplitter Gondola, terrain parks, adrenaline-pumping glades skiing, and six Whiteface restaurants. Whiteface is the Olympic Mountain, which means not only can you carve the same turns as the world's best racers, you can visit the other Olympic facilities, like the Olympic Jumping Complex and the Olympic Sports Complex, just down the road in Lake Placid. This is a place that has brought the best out of world-class athletes, outdoor enthusiasts, all-mountain skiers and riders and beginners for years. It's your turn.
Season Schedule & Hours
Whiteface is now open for the season at our regular operating hours! We'll be open 7 days a week, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm including all winter holidays. You can stay up to date during the season with our conditions report. The season closing day will be April 9, 2017, but as always this date is weather dependent.
Mountain Hours of Operation
- Lower Lifts: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Upper Lifts: 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Cloudsplitter Gondola: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm (last ride for foot passengers: 3:15 pm)
- Ticket Booths: 8:00 am - 3:30 pm (7:30 am - 3:30 pm on weekends and holidays)*
*Tickets may be purchased at Whiteface after 3:00 pm for the next day or at the ORDA Store on Main Street, Lake Placid
Whiteface Cub Camp Nursery Hours
- Open 8:15 am - 4:00 pm & located in Bear Den Lodge
Whiteface Rental Shops
- Base Lodge: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (weekends & holidays: 7:30 am - 5:30 pm)
- Bear Den Lodge: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
First Tracks Program
First Tracks is a free program that runs on weekends and holiday periods, except for Christmas Day. Skiers and riders should be suited, booted, ticketed and ready to go at the Guest Services Desk by 7:45 am to participate. Available on a first come, first serve basis for 14 participants each day. Call Whiteface Guest Services at (518) 946-2223 (ext. 310) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot. All participants must be at or above intermediate skiing or riding abilities.
- Mailing address: P.O. Box 1980, Wilmington, NY 12997
- Physical address: 5021 Route 86, Wilmington, NY 12997
- Phone: (518) 946-2223
- Base Elevation: 1,220'
- Little Whiteface Elevation: 3,676'
- Lookout Mountain Elevation: 4,000'
- Highest Lift Terminus: 4,386'
- Highest Skiable Terrain: the Slides at 4,650'
- Peak Elevation: 4,867'
Mountain Vertical Drop
- 3,430 feet - The greatest vertical drop in the East!
- 3,166 feet - Lift services vertical drop
Number of Trails & Skiable Acres
- Total number of trails: 87
- Total distance of skiing and riding: over 22 miles!
- Longest run on Whiteface: Wilmington Trail at 2.1 miles
- 288 skiable acres including:
- 35 acres of in-bounds, off-piste double-black diamond wilderness terrain skiing on The Slides (conditions permitting)
- 53 acres of glades skiing
Terrain & Snowmaking
- Terrain by ability:
- 38% Expert
- 42% Intermediate
- 20% Beginner
- 99% snowmaking coverage using 335 snow guns and 40 miles of pipe (excluding the Glades and the Slides)
- 1 eight-passenger gondola
- 1 high-speed detachable quad
- 1 fixed quad
- 2 triples
- 5 doubles
- 1 conveyor lift
|2014 - 2015||170''|
|2013 - 2014||189''|
|2012 - 2013||
|2011 - 2012||129''|
|2010 - 2011||247''|
|2009 - 2010||172''|
|2008 - 2009||185''|
|2007 - 2008||255''|
|2006 - 2007||263''|
|2005 - 2006||202''|
|Ten Year Average||200''|